Chronology of the Zuber-Laederich Group (*)

1851: creation of the general partnership Zuber Rieder et Cie in order to create a paper mill at Mulhouse-Ile Napoléon, using for the first time in France, an English patent for manufacturing paper roles.

1873: Having become German, the general partnership becomes a private company limited by shares. It builds a second paper pulp factory at Sausheim near Mulhouse. A luxury paper mill is established in 1881 in Torpes in the Doubs region in order to keep a foot in France as Alsace is now part of Germany.

1910: construction of an electrical plant at Ile Napoléon to mechanize the paper mill’s machines.

1914: at the outbreak of war, the Alsatian group is cut off from its mill in Torpes

1928-1934: modernization of the paper mill at Ile Napoléon and closure of the Sausheim factory.

1944-1945: the mill suffers heavy war damages but is up and running again by 1946.

1951: Zuber Rieder et Cie becomes a public limited company and is listed on the stock exchange.

The 80’s: the situation of the company and the paper industry deteriorates; the Zuber family asks for assistance mainly from German financers and loses control of the group. In order to survive, the company sells its assets and restructures.

The Laederich company acquires a stake in Zuber Rieder in the middle of the 70s, progressively increasing its stake in Zuber Rieder while at the same time investing in several industrial companies in Alsace: as the major shareholder for Manufacture Muller, and as a regional Business Angel (Schaeffer et Cie, Schaeffer engineering, Emanuel Lang Textiles, Aubert, Riby, …).

1989: Following the takeover of Zuber Rieder by Laederich, the two companies merge and Zuber-Laederich is born. The newly formed company continues its development, most notably acquiring the companies Dollfus & Noack, Colmant Cuvelier and Etablissements Magnette. The paper mill in Torpes becomes a limited company “Papeterie Zuber Rieder SA”, bought out in 2000 by its directors. The factory and real estate assets of Laederich at Mulhouse are acquired by the municipality in order to build “La Filature”, a major national theatre in Alsace.

Jérôme Koch joins the group founded by his father Gérard.

The 90s: The group develops and renovates industrial wastelands in Mulhouse (Cité Parc Glück: a service sector business park of 20 000m2) at Kingersheim (Tival: development and subdivision for the construction of 20 000M2 of housing). It also carries out land development and subdivisions for commercial and retail use in Illzach, as well as housing in Heimsbrunn, in partnership with the municipalities.

1995-2000: Zuber Laederich sells almost all its textile assets and its minority financial stakes.

1996: Merger of Dollfus & Noack and Manufacture Muller which becomes Dollfus Muller.

1997: The company delists from the stock market and refocuses on its family capital vocation. Jérôme Koch takes over from his father as head of the company.

Since 2000. The company manages its assets and progressively develops its real estate activity by buying various substantial real estate sites in Alsace, in order to transform them into sites for industrial and logistical use. At the same time, the group continues to support and invest in its industrial subsidies Dollfus & Muller and Colmant-Cuvelier.